Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This must be, pop

I’m kind of a really good dancer. Scratch that, I rock at dancing. Ever since I was little, I had a soft spot for dancing. Something about the way your body moves like it has a mind of its own. Often, when I lack the words to express myself, a simple dance movement would be all I need to get my point across.
Camp Louise. I truly cannot begin to tell you how much of my life has been impacted by this wondrous place in the mountains of Maryland. So I won’t (relax, I’d just rather give it it’s own story). For the sake of this story, I will disclose that Camp Louise offered many different activities. Dancing was of course one of them and so I decided I’d try out for the annual dance show. I tried out with three of my girlfriends. They all made the dance but I did not. I wasn’t too upset though because the second I didn't make it, dancing had suddenly become uncool. Weird how that worked out. Anyway, they were going to do a dance to my favorite song (at the time---ehh maybe ever) “Dirty Pop.” I wasn’t jealous. I wasn’t. Just because I left the room every time they practiced does NOT mean I was jealous!


The night of the performance, when I saw the dance in it’s entirety, I was jealous. It wasn’t fair that I didn’t made the show. Obviously I was just as good as the rest of those girls.


........ And so, I made them teach me “Dirty Pop.”
I practiced Dirty Pop that entire summer. I was “Dirty Popping” in the bunk, in the dinning hall, in the shower, on the field, in the back seat windows up (ha just kidding). But you get my point. I just could not get enough!
So I had to show off my dance to a large amount of people. Thus, 3 weeks before my Bat Mitzvah, I taught the dance to 6 of my friends. We had a special introduction and then bam--we were Dirty Popping in front of all my biggest fans. I was front and center and when we finished the audience stood and clapped and I was feeling way too pleased with myself. I felt like Elle Woods from Legally Blond when she got that special program and she goes, “ME!” Look out JLO, here comes Brooke!

 Dancing Animation _ dinamobomb

 I had my 5 minutes of fame at my Bat Mitzvah but I was ready to put it to rest. It was getting tough dealing the all the paparazzi and whatnot so I kind of laid low for the rest of middle school. It’s funny because when you’re a nobody, you always want to be famous, to be worshipped. But then when you finally attain that fame, its like, you just want to be a normal kid again. And that was my problem--I just wanted to be normal again.

So I put my Dirty Pop days on a shelf, to be opened at a much later time in my life.


And then college happened.


One night I was out at a house party with my roommates. I was Chatty Cathy with the people I knew and ignored those I did not. And then, it happened. When the song came on the loud speaker I’m not really sure what came over me. It was like I was 13 again and had to prove myself to these people. I had to show my college that, yea, I got them dancing skillz. It took maybe 30 seconds for the entire party to stop and watch me do my Dirty Pop. And then the fame.


Once again, I was famous for Dirty Popping-- but this time, it wasn’t going anywhere! You could say I was a celebrity at my college, which I know is ironic since N’SYNC’s album was called Celebrity--but I think its fate. For some reason I was meant to entertain the world with Dirty Pop. And in return, its saved my life.


Without Dirty Pop, I’m not sure I’d have some of the friends I do. I guess everyone has a talent that makes them unique. And this was it for me. This must be POP!

No comments:

Post a Comment