Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In the Dog House

My life has been guided by an abnormal amount of dogs, each adding traits to the person I am today.

It began with Chloe, an orange Golden Retriever. We got her from a rescue farm when I was 3. I was so excited to get a dog and that she was a girl. I always knew we would be best friends but I never knew I was going to have to force her into the friendship.

Our blooming friendship began one morning when I went into my mom's room to hang out. Upon entering the room, I saw Chloe on the bed. The second I stepped foot into the room, the damn dog growled at me, displaying all her teeth. If I took a step, she would growl even louder. Expecting sympathy from my mom, I looked at her with my adorable 3-year-old face and she smiled and said, "Aw, isn't Chloe just the cutest?"

Fine. No big deal. As the days went on I decided to give Chloe another chance. This was about 1992, way before the Vampire phenomena took over. Yet, Chloe knew one day "vamping" would be cool and I guess started the trend early by biting me. It's important to note right here that I was an absolutely perfect child. I always did as I was told and I made sure to misbehave only when no one was watching. Chloe and I developed this fun game where I would try to ride her. We ended that game, however, and began this new vampire game when she bit me on the cheek.

I loved this game! She would bite me, I would bite her back in the very same spot on her face! I really felt a connection with Chloe, like we were the "biting sisters." I felt silly for misjudging her that first time I walked into my moms room. I was devastated the day my mom said we were getting ride of Chloe. My mom said the dog was unsafe around me. Didn't I have a say in this?

So we got rid of Chloe. Luckily, I still had my sister so I wasn't completely lonely. Rachel wasn't as excited to play Chloe's and my game as I was. The first time I bit her she took her right fist and punched it into my face.

I guess some experiences were only meant to be shared by one other being.

No comments:

Post a Comment